Before Intravenous Sedation/General Anesthesia
If you are receiving some type of sedation (IV Sedation/General Anesthesia) for your procedure:
- Fasting: Do not eat or drink anything (including water or coffee) after midnight the night before surgery. If you have had food or drink within 8 hours of your sedation, we will not be able to proceed and you will be rescheduled.
- Escort: On the day of surgery, a responsible adult must accompany you to your appointment, remain during your visit and drive you home after your procedure. A responsible adult should be with you as your caregiver the entire day of surgery.
- Medications: You should take your usual medications with a small sip of water unless instructed otherwise. Please call several days early if: you are diabetic; on blood thinners; have any artificial joints; have a heart murmur or other heart defect.
- Clothing: Please wear comfortable, loose fitting clothing to permit access for the IV and the monitors.
- Restroom: Please use the restroom before your appointment.
- Recovery: Patients cannot drive or operate heavy machinery for 24 hours after surgery. It is advised that you not undertake any important personal or business responsibilities for 24 hours after IV anesthesia.
- Illness: If prior to your procedure, you develop a cold, fever or are otherwise ill at the time of your surgery, please call. Your appointment may need to be rescheduled.